Friday, June 21, 2013

RSS in Education-501

These tutorials were made with my students in mind. I have been wanting to figure out a way to teach them how to use RSS Feeds for the last several months. I have my students doing all of their projects through blogging. I went to CUE last March in Palm Springs and saw an incredible teacher, Kate Petty, do a presentation on RSS Feeds and blogging. I wanted to figure out the best way to incorporate RSS Feeds into my own classroom. 
The tutorial is very basic. Even though I teach high school, grades 9-12, I do not have honors' kids, I have students that are behind in credits and are trying to catch up as fast as possible. I am lucky if they can read and write above a fourth grade level. I love to use Voki in my classroom and Prezi. I teach my students how to use these tools to grab their attention. 
From this assignment I learned that you cannot embed a Voki into a Prezi and also that Screencast-o-matic does not format correctly when trying to enlarge a screen size from one picture to the next. I also learned how to subscribe to RSS feeds myself. I had previously started to play with it, but never put in the time to really get into it. I am still a bit confused as to why the RSS Ticker warning comes up every time I open my browser.
I am currently trying to find ways to incorporate RSS Feeds into my class structure. I like to give my students choice in their projects, but I am limited to a 6 week time frame and a severe lack of motivation. The last few months of this school year I gave the students a project that was based on something they were passionate about, something they would want to learn more about. I had more kids pass this last grading period than I had in the previous periods. I still gave them requirements that had to be met, but I let them choose the topic. I want to be able to incorporate RSS Feeds into this style of learning.









2.4 Integrated Technologies
3.1 Media Utilization
4.4 Information Management

No comments:

Post a Comment