Thursday, April 17, 2014

Role Playing in SIMs

Last night I spent the evening with some comrades in a couple of different SIMs. We explored two different worlds in Second Life, Idahonia, Healthy Lifestyle and Pirates. The Healthy Lifestyle simulation focused on activities promoting healthy choices. There were quizzes along the way reinforcing good choices when it came to food selection. I can't believe people can create worlds like this, they are interactive and eerily realistic.
You start your adventure by putting on a health vest which gauges your level of health by the choices of food you select. You lose points by making not so great choices and gain health levels with good choices. Agile Bill joined in and then Curious George. The interaction was fun, I can see why people can get addicted to worlds like this. Agile Bill ended up collapsing from hunger at the end, I guess he didn't make very good choices. Curious George and I both ended up with food poisoning. All I had eaten was fruit so I don't know how that happened. I was a little dismayed to realize that not one of the vendors had water. Water is a healthy lifestyle choice and I think it should have been part of the lifestyle quizzes. After getting food poisoning all I wanted was to find some water to rehydrate myself and it was upsetting to not find it anywhere. However, in the end, I finished out with a yellow health badge, so I didn't do too bad.
First getting started when you arrive.
Pre-assessment on the train to Healthy Lifestyle Island
At the Grocery Store
At the Farmer's Market

It was really neat to see how the vendors would interact with you as well.

Pirate Island was also pretty cool. It reminded me of a cross between the huts on the beach in Tahiti and something you would see in an Asian country. There were several of us exploring this island. At one point Indigo and I found each other sitting on a boat together, which neither of us new how to drive. I flew around the island and went into the town. Of course, I fell in the water and had to figure out how to get out. Towards the end we all ended up on the docks somewhere, but I have no idea how we found them. I believe AgileBill teleported us there. He wanted to find some clothes and play the part, but at that time the commander was calling us back for closing. It would have been cool had we all had a chance to get some clothes and return to the ship in style. They had some amazing dresses.
Flying over the huts
Another side of the island
I though this looked like the town Pub
A strange discovery, maybe the town dump or someone's eclectic garden?
At the end of our journey together
Game of Thrones
Taking a break
On the docks
Check out the lady on the horse

I had a great time last night. I appreciate that we were able to use last night to experience these worlds together. It was fun.






No comments:

Post a Comment